Women who are unhappy with their breast size can achieve the breasts they always wanted through a successful breast augmentation procedure performed by Dr. Stanley Foster. Breast augmentation has become one of the most popular surgical procedures for women who want to increase the size, shape and texture of their breasts. More and more women are seeing this surgery as a vital component of changing not just the way they look, but the way they feel about themselves. It gives them a great boost of self-confidence and makes them more outgoing.
What is Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation, also called breast enlargement or augmentation mammoplasty, is an increasingly popular procedure for women who are unhappy with their breast size. No matter what the cause of small breasts, an augmentation can do wonders for a woman’s figure and self-confidence.
Candidates for Breast Augmentation
When breast augmentation surgery is done right, it can greatly impact the contour and appearance of the breasts. With the use of implants, breast volume is increased. But is it right for you? Virtually any woman with small breasts is a good candidate for breast augmentation. Some of the reasons that our patients come to us for surgery and may make them a candidate include the following:
- Underdeveloped breasts – Underdeveloped breasts are usually the result of hereditary factors, though other environmental, dietary, and general health issues may contribute.
- Asymmetrical breasts – Again, hereditary factors are the usual culprit. Treatment options will depend on the individual case, but may require only one implant be used. A breast lift is often performed at the same time.
- Loss of breast tissue after pregnancy – Among the many changes a pregnancy can have on a woman’s body, a loss of breast tissue is one of the most common and noticeable. Breast augmentation surgery is very popular with new moms, even moms who plan on having more children, as implants do not interfere with breastfeeding. This procedure is also a part of the Mommy Makeover.
- Loss of breast firmness after pregnancy – Oftentimes, women experience sagging breasts after childbirth. This is often due to a loss of breast tissue. A breast lift in conjunction with augmentation is often the best solution.
- Mastectomy – Implants are an ideal treatment for women who have lost one or both breasts due to breast cancer or other disease.
- You are within the age requirement set by the FDA – According to the Food and Drug Administration, only those who are 18 years old and above can have saline implants. Silicone implants are approved for those who are 22 years and above.
- You are ready to accept the risks involved in the procedure – Just like with any medical procedure, breast augmentation involves risks. Some of the risks include rippling and capsular contracture, implant displacement or damage and visible scarring. Make sure you approach the procedure with a clear head and right expectations.
- You are in good mental and physical health – If you have a history of depression, breast cancer or autoimmune disorder, you need to inform your surgeon about it. They must make sure that you are in the best condition to have the surgery.
How to Get Started
Your breast augmentation procedure will begin with a consultation where you and Dr. Foster will discuss your goals and expectations. Once you decide to go ahead with the procedure, you will have several implant options to choose from. Please visit our incision options, placement options, and types of breast implants pages for complete information. Some of the more common questions our patients have are discussed on our questions about breast augmentation page.
Preparing For Breast Augmentation
Preparing for your breast augmentation surgery is very important because it plays a big part in how well you recover. If you want a smooth and comfortable healing period, make sure you plan well ahead of the day of the surgery.
- Schedule for a mammogram – There are surgeons who require a mammogram before the operation especially if the patient is over 40 and never had a mammogram before.
- Follow your surgeon’s order – Before your surgery, your doctor will give you instructions. Make sure you follow them religiously because not adhering to them may cause problems down the line.
- Stop smoking – If you smoke, do your best to stop for at least four weeks prior to surgery. If you cannot quit, cut back as much as possible. Smoking constricts the blood vessels, which can interfere with healing
Breast Augmentation Recovery & Healing Process
The success of your breast augmentation surgery doesn’t rely alone on your cosmetic surgeon’s skill. A big part of achieving the results you want lies on how well you take care of yourself during the recovery period. Pre and post surgery, Dr. Foster will discuss what to expect during the recovery and healing process. Here are a few tips to make your recovery as smooth as possible.
- Monitor your progress. You need to stay focused on your progress and make sure that you are healing normally.
- If you feel any pain, fever, wound or soreness at the site of the implants, make sure to inform your doctor.
- Avoid direct sun exposure on the surgical area for one month, and sun exposure for one year on the actual scar.
- Don’t rush to return to your daily routine immediately. Wait for about two to three weeks to let your body fully recover from the surgery. Rigorous activities such as lifting of heavy weights and exercising can be taken up only after a period of six weeks.
- Be careful when taking a bath. Pay extra attention and care to make sure that sutures stay dry. You can probably ask a family or a close friend to help you with this task.
- If a pain medication is prescribed for you, take the medication when needed every three to four hours for discomfort.
Schedule a Consultation
Breast augmentation can increase fullness, bring back lost volume, and improve symmetry of your breasts. If you have been thinking about taking the next steps in exploring breast augmentation surgery, call (203) 577-6550 to schedule a free consultation with top plastic surgeon, Dr. Stanley Foster at his office located in Middlebury, Connecticut.
Find out how soon you can Exercise after Breast Augmentation.
Click here to view the Breast Augmentation Gallery page
If you live in the Hartford, Greenwich, or Middlebury, Connecticut area and would like
to enhance your physique through breast augmentation, please contact Dr. Foster today to arrange your consultation.